Hurricane Harvey!

Author: Vicki Ash
Posted on September 12, 2017

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and prayers as the state of Texas has gone through the worst natural disaster in years.  This makes 2 years in a row that we have had torrential rains and subdivisions flooded but never anything like this.

It rained non-stop for 6 days and this flat city can’t handle 38 inches of rain.

 Poor Rockport, TX. got the brunt of the storm and Harvey wiped out their power grid so that will take a year to rebuild.  Our house in Fulshear is on a lake and every drop of water drains into the lake.  Our streets didn’t flood as the water goes into the lake then into another creek then to the Brazos River.  After getting this much rain and run off the lake started to rise and we started watching it carefully monitoring how much it rose every 2 hours. One hour it rose 20 inches and that’s when we really started moving stuff upstairs so we could live there till the water went down.  We did learn how to take several pieces of furniture apart to stack on the dining room table so now we know we can do it but don’t want to have to ever again.  On Day 5 we went to bed fully expecting water to be on the floor the next morning but when I got up at 5am to check, I was so pleased that it had gone down 2 inches.  Yay never would have thought that 2 inches was such a big deal, but it was.  The water started to recede very slowly and by the end of day 6, I had to get outside.   The rain had finally stopped after 6 days of constant rain so Gil and I got in the car and drove around the subdivision, as we couldn’t leave.  We had the Brazos behind us, the flooded lake in front and were unable to go outside our subdivision; we were completely surrounded by water and all exits were flooded.  It felt so good to go outside when it wasn’t raining.

 It took another day for the water to recede and we could leave and get to the office.

The following day we needed to get to the bay house as it was only 70 miles east of Rockport and we had been sent some pictures and needed at least to get the debris out of the yard and out front so county could pick it up.

 As most of the roads were under water, we had to take the long way down by going north to go south.  A trip that usually takes an hour and a half now took 3 hours but we made it.  Bay house was fine but almost every pier in this bay was gone including ours and a lot of them were on our front yard so the work began to pull all that to the road.  We did our house and neighbors and the next day did the neighbors on the other side and got it all done.  Our boat stalls have a lot of damage and everything in it is gone but we have a contractor already to go to fix it after he does the neighbor's pier.

 But that’s life on the coast.  Brain’s house was fine but daughter Andrea’s house had 1 foot of water in it so the cutting and clearing out began when the water finally was down so we could get in.  All good and we are all safe and that’s all that matters.

Back to Blog