281-346-0888  |  Office Hours: Monday-Friday 9a – 5p (CDT, UTC−06:00)

|        Follow us


Vicki’s Sweet Vacation

I’m just getting back from what our general manager Becky called my vacation in Oregon with granddaughter Avery. I am not sure that vacation is the correct term.

Our daughter Andrea and her husband Tim had a trip planned, so it was my pleasure to go and visit with Avery, who is almost nine.

The first two days she had school, so I went one day and got a massage (my vacation). After that, each day was planned.

The plans were more about what type of sweet she could get. Like, “Let’s go to the park and – oh, by the way, they have these monster snow cones with lots of sweet toppings.” Hers was blueberry, grape, and mango.

Of course, it was hot so I had to have a banana and pina colada one. When in Eugene, do what they do on (what they called) a hot day of 85 with a substantial cool wind.

The next day was filled with shopping for a favorite toy that she wanted. She had the money to pay for it, so we started our search.

It reminded me of when Andrea wanted a Cabbage Patch Doll many moons ago and they were not to be found. It was the same with this little critter called a “hatchimal” which comes in an egg and hatches itself in about 30 minutes when you rub on it.

After several attempts to locate this beast, we found one not too far away. My question was what does this hatchimal do for $50? “Well,” Avery said, “it hatches and then it goes from baby to toddler just like a baby does. And it coos along the way to let you know how it is feeling.”

Well, this is better than a gerbil because this one has an on/off button.

So, we got the hatchimal and fortunately, it was the one she wanted because you don’t know which one you have until they hatch. She rubbed on the egg and it made noises and there is a card that tells you which feeling it is having by the color of its eyes, which you can see through the egg. And you hold it in different ways until it starts to make a new noise.

After 30 minutes it started pecking out of the egg and a purple furball critter came out and makes new noises. The eyes turn different colors and it has different feelings. After a day or so it goes from baby to toddler and can repeat words you tell it. Cute and crazy. But she was amazed by it, as was I.

Avery’s friend Izzy came over to spend the night, so they took care of the baby then into the hot tub and to bed. The next day they played until Izzy had to go home and Avery and I went roller-skating.

Do you know how long it has been since I was on roller skates? Well, that’s too long. I’m thinking it would be like riding a bike, right? You don’t forget… NOT.

I did a few laps and said no more. All I could think about was a fall and a broken hip with Andrea and Tim in Mexico, and an eight-year-old. So I sat down and Avery got cotton candy. Remember, it’s not the activity; it’s the treat.

I survived the skating adventure and the next day we stayed low in the morning, went to a different park in the afternoon then went to eat sushi. This child loves sushi, so this is a must at some point. Then we went home, got in the hot tub, watched a movie, then off to bed.

What’s up for the day? Well, the trampoline park, of course. Avery wanted me to jump with her, so reluctantly I did for a bit.

Miss Avery is skin and bones and like the Energizer bunny, jumping all over the park. They have a new part that has an obstacle course over big sponge blocks so if you fall it doesn’t hurt. She is all over this as I carefully watch from afar.

There are swings that you walk on across this pit and ropes you climb on as you go over it, with silk scarves to hold on to as you cross it. Avery could do all of these except the silk scarves because they are very slippery when you grab them. She did really well, getting almost to the middle, but then our time ran out.

Then it was off to the vending machine for THE CLAW. You know that claw that you maneuver and try to have it hold on to something in the window? The first try was not successful but times two and three were. She got a rubber ball and a toy that she gladly sent home for cousin Joe to play with. Home, dinner, hot tub, and a movie!

Andrea and Tim were going to get home late the next night, so we got up and went back to the trampoline park to conquer the silk scarves. She almost did but time ran out. Off to the vending machine to find something else for THE CLAW to grab. This time she went to the candy one and it gave her more candy than the ball one.

When we got home, Andrea said “let’s go shopping and leave Avery here with Tim,” so off we went. The only time I go shopping is with her, and of course, we ended it with a glass of wine. We met up with Avery and Tim for dinner then went home to sit on the back porch and rest.

It was my last full day in Oregon, so Avery and I went to the movie really early – Captain Underpants. Then we got home and left for the wine country for a few tastings, then off to one winery for dinner and wine.

What a beautiful part of the country. The air is so clean and the sky is so blue. We had a good dinner, then home, a short movie, then off to bed. I had to leave early for Portland to catch my flight home.

In the meantime, Gil is in Bolivia shooting doves and pigeons at a new place that is very nice and not quite as far to get to as Argentina. I will have a day or so to wash clothes and catch up on office work and repack for our trip to Montana on Monday.

Whew, are you tired yet?

Until next week and another adventure!